As long as the card has the potential to change the game state, you can begin the initiation sequence. Then, if an attack of opportunity is triggered and that changes the way you want the card’s effect to be resolved, so be it! That is perfectly legal. So, if you play Emergency Aid (with one damaged player or ally in play) and an attack of opportunity deals damage to your Guard Dog, you can then use Emergency Aid’s effect to heal the Guard Dog. You are able to do this because Emergency Aid did have the potential to change the game state before the attack of opportunity occurred (because Morgan was damaged). If, hypothetically speaking, no characters in play were damaged at the time you began playing Emergency Aid, then it would have no potential to change the game state and it would immediately abort the process before the card is even played. The same is true if you, for example, used A Chance Encounter to bring an ally back from your discard pile, and triggered an attack of opportunity that ended up defeating a different ally; you could then use A Chance Encounter to bring that ally back instead of the original one.
- "Does the restriction on 'giving' signature cards to other investigators in the FAQ apply to cards that don't say 'give'? For example, could I use A Chance Encounter to retrieve Duke from "Ashcan" Pete's discard pile and put him into play for me for a turn?" A signature card should not be allowed to be under the control of any investigator other than the investigator named on the card. So, for example, you could not use A Chance Encounter to retrieve Duke from Ashcan Pete’s discard pile if you were playing an investigator other than Ashcan Pete.
Elige un Apoyo Aliado de la pila de descartes de cualquier jugador. Pon ese Apoyo en juego bajo tu control. Al final de la ronda, si ese Apoyo siguen en juego, descártalo.
- The extra soak that a temporary ally gives is assumed and thus omitted from the entries below.
- Not all allies are represented below; many were omitted on a case to case basis, usually due to being too slow, too situational, or too minor an effect. If you feel like I unfairly left out a card, please let me know.
- All story-related assets are omitted to avoid spoilers.
- All allies included are up to The Search For Kadath.
- A Chance Encounter + Beat Cop = one round boost + a slightly worse Mano a Mano.
- A Chance Encounter + Venturer = one resource for one ammo or supply exchange.
- A Chance Encounter + Agency Backup = the effect of either Beat Cop's discard .or Art Student's enter play effect
- A Chance Encounter + Research Librarian = a cheap Tome tutor.
- A Chance Encounter + Laboratory Assistant = a better value Preposterous Sketches.
- A Chance Encounter + Art Student = a cheaper, slower Working a Hunch.
- A Chance Encounter + Charles Ross, Esq. = pay one resource now for a one resource discount on an Item asset later.
- A Chance Encounter + Mr. "Rook" = a cheaper, more flexible, riskier No Stone Unturned.
- A Chance Encounter + Arcane Initiate = a single low chance tutor for a Spell.
- A Chance Encounter + Alyssa Graham = one round boost + encounter deck manipulation.
- A Chance Encounter + David Renfield = one round boost for a net 0 cost.
Final verdict? Helloooo Seeker! Unlike that other classes, A Chance Encounter seems to create better or equally good versions of event cards that already exist in the game. Combined with their allies' disposability and the fact that seekers are disinclined from ever being engaged with enemies, means the likes of Minh Thi Phan and Mandy Thompson could make great use of A Chance Encounter.
The other classes are really hampered by the non-fast nature of this card or the persistence of their allies. You'll really be avoiding putting Agency Backup or Leo De Luca in the discard pile, negating the ability to use A Chance Encounter, and Stray Cat and Beat Cop are more useful when engaged with an enemy, so you'll likely find yourself incurring an attack of opportunity. Mystic's allies are the standout, and one investigator in particular must be mentioned:
Marie Lambeau can take A Chance Encounter, and Chance Encounter gives an ally an inbuilt self-destruct button before the mythos phase. Yep, you can safely recur a doom laden ally, and gain an additional action for it. David Renfield stands out as the best candidate for this combo, as not only does he rebate the cost of A Chance Encounter, he also provides a boost to use on the additional Spell action.